Saturday 15 January 2011

Gotta 'love' oreo cupcakes!



I decided to make some mini cupcakes to take to church tomorrow for a visiting teaching get together we are having. I was put in charge of bringing desserts so I'm taking cheesecakes from work but also wanted to make something and then I was planning to take some to FHE the following night. I used the 'love bakery' book and was going to make the Chocolate oreo ones and the banana ones..

First up the oreo chocolate cupcakes. Sainsburys had run out of buttermilk so I substituted it for yoghurt and i didn't want to use white wine vinegar so i substituted it for rice vinegar. I was using my cute new scales I got from my mum at christmas.



When I added the vinegar i got a cool chemical reaction with the baking powder! But I was a bit worried when I tried the batter as it tasted really strong of vinegar!



I got this mini cupcake pan today from John lewis reduced to £12 instead of £20 (my staying in the house all day lasted till 3, then i got a bus to find a craft/home shop my sister had told me about and ended up at Brent cross!) And I was pleased to try out my new mini martha stewart cases.



The batter was supposed to make 12 regular cupcakes but I got 35 minis! So I think the banana cupcakes are going to have to wait for another time or I'll be over run with cupcakes! When I took them out the oven, I couldn't wait to try one to see what it tasted like and luckily it didn't taste of vinegar anymore it just gives it a slight tang combined with the yoghurt and they are so moist.



Oreo cupcakes

60g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 egg
20g cocoa powder (sifted)
150g plain flour
140ml buttermilk (I used plain yoghurt)
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
4 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
(I used rice vinegar)

Frosting

2 oreo biscuits (I used mint ones)
40g unsalted butter
85g full fat cream cheese
250g icing sugar (sifted)


Method

1)Pre-heat the oven to 180.
2)Add the butter and caster sugar to the elctric mixer and cream together for 7 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
3)Add the egg and mix for 1 minute
4)Add the cocoa powder and mix for 2 minutes, and then ass the flour and buttermilk and mix for 2 minutes. Add the baking powder and vinegar and mix for a further 2 minutes.
5)Divide the mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for 25 minutes (12-15 for minis)
Remove from the oven and leave to cool

For the frosting..

1)Crush the oreo biscuits with a rolling pin until you have biscuit crumbs.
2)Cream the butter and cream cheese together in the mixer for 2 minutes.
3)Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Use a tablespoon to fold in the biscuit crumbs.



The frosting was yummy with the mint oreo and the crumbs look good swirled through the white. But if I was making these again I think I need to find a better replacement for white wine vinegar as I think the rice vinegar gives too much of a tang! Unless they are supposed to be like that....

1 comments:

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Wow wow wow these look so yum! that frosting looks thick and lush and soooooo jealous where did you get the mint Oreos from? Are they mine? they lasted ages! lol
I baked cupcakes too last night! cookie dough ones...I'm going to put them on my blog later tonight, I should have been preparing primary instead though which is why I'm up at 7am doing it groan! Hope the cheesecakes and cupcakes go down well! xxxxx p.s I knew you're staying in would never last! hahahahha

Post a Comment